So last night I got an immense craving for chocolate cake with icecream. But I didn’t had cake at home nor were any shops or restaurants open for me to buy some. Then I remembered how my flatmate Letícia makes mug-cakes but I never wanted to make them because you had to use the microwave (which I’m not a big fan of). But ok, the craving was screaming by then so I tried to make it and oh my goodness, I didn’t expect it to be this easy and delicious. With the scoop of walnut icecream on top it was perfect. Hope you all enjoy this too!
- Servings: 1 mug (2 servings)
- Ready in: ± 7 minutes
- 5 tablespoons of self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons of almond milk
- Add the self-raising flour, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla sugar and salt to the largest mug you have and mix it. Try and use a mug that contains at least 400ml to prevent the cake of overflowing in the microwave.
- Add the egg and mix it untill the dough is smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract, oil and milk and continue mixing to keep the mixture smooth.
- Place the mug in the middle of the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes. The cake should be firm to the touch and ready to eat.
- This is a pretty basic base, so feel free to add chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, raisins, banana or any kind of topping or filling you like. It’s an easy recipe to experiment with all kinds of ingredients, so go crazy and remember to share!
- I prefer using sunflower oil, but you can use any kind of vegetable oil.
- I also prefer using almond milk, because it’s sweeter and because I avoid using milk. But you can use any type of milk you like. Coconut milk would be a nice replacement too.
Did you use this recipe? Please leave a comment with your experience! Feel free to share ideas, alternatives and tips.