I’ve made this fancy cocktail several times for several people who were all in the same situation: diarrhea and/or vomiting. And not just for a time or two, but some were suffering for a couple of days or about eight times in one day. First of all, neither is nice to go through. Second, you just want to recover and hope each time is the last. It’s normal that after some visits to the bathroom you feel empty, weak and more dead than alive. This cocktail is to prevent you from entering dehydration by keeping your electrolytes in balance. The combination of sea salt and honey (as the sugars) makes a DIY and natural ORS (oral rehydration solution). The cocktail prevents you to worsen and brings back life into your body: hence the name Levanta Defunto Cocktail, which means ‘rise the dead cocktail’.
Here some specific benefits on each of the ingredients in this cocktail:
Sea Salt has anti-inflammatory properties and boosts the immune-system. The appropriate quantity of nutrients and mineral depositions in sea salt make it extremely beneficial for allergy, fever, cold and flu. Sea salt also promotes digestion, rejuvenates the skin and relieves stress.
Honey contains antioxidants, which can protect the body from inflammation. It has many benefits like treating infections, fighting metabolic syndrome, preventing artery hardening and promotes wound healing, particularly in burns.
Lemon is full of anti-inflammatory properties that can cure health issues. It will help fight respiratory tract infections, cure sore throats and inflammation of tonsils. Lemon also promotes hydration, improves skin quality, supports digestion and weight loss and is a great source of vitamin C.
Ginger is full of antioxidants, which play an important role in helping your body handle free radicals. This lowers the risk of health conditions like heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Ginger is also rich in mineral potassium, is a natural anti-inflammatory and a natural anti-nausea and digestive aid. It will help to balance blood sugar levels and it promotes weight loss too.
Curcuma or Turmeric, has many health benefits. It lessens inflammation, lowers the risk of heart disease and has antioxidant properties. With depression, the protein known as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is reduced and your hippocampus, which helps with learning and memory, starts to shrink. A study shows that curcuma can boost BDNF levels and may reverse changes. Another study shows that curcuma was effective in lessening symptoms of depression. Curcuma may also increase levels of serotonin and dopamine.
Black Pepper helps your body absorb the curcuma compound. But aside from that it has it own benefits too. It is high in antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory effects and is good for your digestive system. It also promotes good cholesterol and the peperine found in black pepper helps lower the blood sugar levels.
- Servings: ±8 glasses
- Ready in: ± 10 minutes
- Material: 2 liter bottle
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of curcuma/turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 liters of water
- Wash the ginger well and cut it in thin slices. Fill the 2 liter bottle with water and add the sea salt, honey, lemon juice, ginger slices, curcuma and black pepper. Close the bottle and shake well.
- Store the bottle in the fridge. When ready to serve, shake the bottle well again, poor the cocktail in a glass and allow it to get to room temperature. The cocktail is to be drunk on the days you’re going through diarrhea and/or vomiting. Stir, drink and try to enjoy!
- Make sure you drink the whole 2L during a day! Extra drinks are always good, but always as extra.
- After giving your body back some life, make sure you boost its immune system too. Check out the Lemon Ginger Curcuma Shots recipe for a good 10-day boost.
Did you use this recipe? Please leave a comment with your experience! Feel free to share ideas, alternatives and tips.